A few questions you should ask yourself during the decision process:
- how much of your unhappiness is directly contributed by your partner?
- how and what are we contributing to the relationship difficulties?
- what do you not fight about with your partner?
- What undesirable habits/characteristics have your ex partners had that your current partner does not?
- Reality question: are you okay with knowing happiness is not guaranteed in another situation or with another person?
As a therapist, it’s my job to ask people these questions as they navigate this process. Sone other questions I thought of as I watched the video:
- What are outside influences that are impacting your relationship satisfaction? Are these changeable?
- What are the situational stressors currently impacting your life? Are these temporary or a new norm?
- Are there any mental/physical struggles currently occurring with your partner that needs to be addressed or reassessed? (anxiety, depression, chronic illness, etc.)
- What are your dealbreakers?
- What are the values informing your decision?
- How long have you felt this way?
- If you woke up tomorrow and no longer wanted to leave, what would have changed for you to feel that way?